Physical vapour deposition and plasma-assisted chemical vapour deposition (PVD and PACVD) are environmentally-friendly vacuum deposition technologies involving a deposition of material on the surface of the parts to be treated.
They make it possible to obtain coatings having:
• thicknesses which can vary from several nanometres to several tens of microns
• hardnesses ranging from 1,000 to 4,000 HV
Depending on the coating chosen, they thus give the parts treated:
• Tribological properties: very low coefficient of friction
• Mechanical properties: very high hardness
• Electromagnetic shielding properties
• Optical properties
• Electrical conductivity properties
• Antibacterial properties
• Decorative properties
This process is implemented in a vacuum vessel in which a plasma is created.
HEF mainly uses 3 methods to generate its plasmas and produce high-quality layers:
PEMS® permits the production of very dense layers for tribological use. This process is more particularly used by HEF for the production of its low coefficient of friction hard or extra-hard layers. Moreover, PEMS® makes it possible to modify the hardness, the density and resistance of deposits to suit the application.
At the cutting edge of vacuum technology, CAM® constitutes a genuine evolution, permitting the deposition of hard and very low coefficient of friction coatings at an extremely low temperature.
This method is an evolution of the usual arc evaporation technique. It considerably reduces the droplets generally associated with this type of coating.
In a strong position because of this control of processes, the HEF Group has developed a series of coatings which cover a very wide area of thin layer applications:
• Reduction of friction and wear: CERTESS™ CARBON
• Increase in the lifetime of mechanical parts: CERTESS™ NITRO
• Electromagnetic shielding on polymers: PROCEM™
• Aluminium alloy corrosion protection: CORRALU™ V
• Erosion protection: CERTESS™ BLAST
• Other surface properties: optical application, decorative application, more particularly on large parts